WhatsApp Business is a new messaging app designed for businesses. It makes it easier to communicate with customers through the famous instant messaging.
The question arises: WhatsApp Business, the beginning of a revolution for brands?
Also to discover : How to create a professional website?
Yes… and no. Because despite its advantages, WhatsApp Business also poses some problems, in terms of data protection and functionality.
In this article, we explain how to use WhatsApp Business to grow your brand and how to combine the app with emailing to implement an effective multi-channel strategy.
You may like : How do I use SAP software?
Table of contents
- is WhatsApp Business?
- How to get Launch with WhatsApp Business
- 3 companies that successfully use WhatsApp Business
- 5 reasons to combine emailing and WhatsApp Business for a multi-channel strategy.
Plan de l'article
- What is WhatsApp Business?
- How to get started with WhatsApp Business
- 3 companies that use WhatsApp Business successfully
- 5 Reasons to Combine Emailing and WhatsApp Business for a Strategy Multi-channel.
What is WhatsApp Business?
The WhatsApp app is no longer to be presented. This instant messaging system, purchased by Facebook in 2014, is now used by more than a billion people around the world. WhatsApp Business is simply its “pro” penchant — designed to help brands set up their customer support, transactional communication or marketing campaigns. In France, the app is downloadable from the Google Play Store is on the Apple App Store.
WhatsApp Business App VS WhatsApp Business API
To begin with, it is necessary to understand that there is not only a difference between WhatsApp and WhatsApp Business , but in reality three different WhatsApp:
- WhatsApp: The basic application you may use to communicate with your loved ones.
- WhatsApp Business App: This professional app is designed for SMEs. It allows you to use the basic features of the system. That is, above all, communication with individual recipients through manually sent messages.
- WhatsApp Business API: This tool is designed for large companies. It allows you to send messages in bulk and automate them. To access this solution, you must use a WhatsApp certified partner, such as Lithium or MessageBird.
The main features of WhatsApp Business
WhatsApp for Business gives you access to a number of very convenient features for communicating with your customers. Here are the most useful features:
- A “Business Profile” that allows you to fill in a lot of information about your company (opening hours, website, contact, address of your physical shop, etc.). The user will therefore no longer have to go to your website and will be able to find this information directly on WhatsApp.
- An automatic welcome message, configured to be sent as soon as a customer contacts you.
- Quick Replies — answers to frequently asked questions that you have recorded. Perfect for quickly responding to support requests.
- Statistics that allow you to see the messages that have been sent, issued, received and read.
- Labels, which you can use to organize your chats by category and find them more easily.
The benefits of WhatsApp Business.
All of these features would be nothing without the awesome user base of WhatsApp.
WhatsApp is undeniably the heavyweight of instant messaging applications. According to a Statista study, in 2019, WhatsApp has over 1.5 billion monthly users — far ahead of competitors such as Telegram or Discord.
Many consumers already use the app to communicate with their loved ones. They are used to sending and receiving messages. From here to using WhatsApp to communicate directly with brands, there is only one step!
WhatsApp enables extremely smooth communication with your contacts on a platform they know well. Messages arrive immediately and can easily be read on mobile.
WhatsApp Business is therefore very effective when it comes to setting up instant communication with your contacts, without having to install a chat system on your website. For example, as part of your customer support strategy.
How to get started with WhatsApp Business
Starting with WhatsApp Business is very simple, you just have to follow these steps:
Step 1 : Download the app from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store. Note that it is not yet possible to download WhatsApp Business on PC.
Step 2 : Once installed, open the app and enter your business phone number. Attention : This number should not be the same as your private number.
Step 3 : Now you need to set up your WhatsApp Business profile by clicking “Settings”. You will have access to six elements:
- Profile : Here you can insert all the information about your company. For example your address, opening hours, website, etc. This information will be visible to your contacts.
- The short link: you can add this link to your website, social networks, emails, etc. By clicking on it, your contacts will automatically start a chat with you.
- A welcome message: which will act as an automatic answering machine and will be sent automatically to the people who will contact you.
- A message of absence: which will be sent to people who will contact you in outside your opening hours.
- Quick answers: Here you can create and save typical messages, which you can later select with one click. A great way to smooth your communication and quickly answer frequently asked questions.
- Statistics: You can always go back to this section for reports on messages sent, delivered, read and received.
That’s it, your WhatsApp Business account is now set up and you’ll be able to get started.
3 companies that use WhatsApp Business successfully
Need inspiration? Discover 3 examples of brands that use WhatsApp to communicate with their customers in an original way.
Hellmann’s and ultra-personalized suggestions
In 2014, the mayonnaise brand Hellmann’s was one of the first to use WhatsApp for a marketing campaign.
The goal of the Whatscook campaign was to give potential Hellmann’s customers new recipes ideas using their mayonnaise.
Users could register by providing their phone number on a website. They were then put in contact with a real chef.
Secondly, the chief asked them to send a picture of their refrigerator. He then offered them recipes tailored to measure with the food at their disposal.
Initially launched in Brazil, this campaign was extremely effective with more than 13,000 registrations and a 99.5% satisfaction rate.
At the time WhatsApp for Business didn’t exist yet, Hellmann’s used the classic version of the app. From now on this type of campaign will be even easier to set up with WhatsApp for Business.
Pan-European TV channel Euronews uses WhatsApp to send more classic informative newsletters .
The user can simply register on their website by indicating their phone number. He will receive twice a day — in the morning and in the evening — a brief summary of the most important information of the day.
Euronews also offers the possibility to register for specific topics to receive more targeted information. For example on the category “Brexit” or “Sport”.
A very good way to find out for those who do not have time to spend hours peeling newspapers.
Sorabel: support and recommendations live via WhatsApp
Indonesian e-commerce start-up Sorabel mainly uses WhatsApp Business API for transactional communication and support — sending payment and delivery information and assisting customers when ordering.
But Sorabel also goes further by helping its customers find products that match them. Thus, it is possible to directly ask an interlocutor of Sorabel for recommendations for, for example, jeans or t-shirt.
A great way to respond quickly to customer needs while directing them to its flagship products.
This campaign was a huge success with 90% of messages delivered and read , twice as much as for their SMS support.
5 Reasons to Combine Emailing and WhatsApp Business for a Strategy Multi-channel.
WhatsApp Business has many advantages and can be very convenient to set up more responsive and humane customer service. The application is also very convenient for transactional: payment confirmation, order tracking, etc.
Unfortunately, as we will see, the system is not ideally suited for more complex marketing campaigns.
That’s why we recommend combining your WhatsApp Business strategy with an email marketing strategy . This allows you to set up a truly effective multi-channel campaign.
What does the emailing that WhatsApp Business does not allow you?
The answer below.
1 — More layout and customization possibilities
One of the weaknesses of WhatsApp is design possibilities. These are much more many in emailing. Email software like Sendinblue allow you to simply insert images, edit fonts, or optimize your messages for viewing on multiple devices.
More importantly: the possibilities of customization. Unlike WhatsApp Business, emailing allows you to send fully individualized messages to your contacts. Thus, it is possible to customize:
- The subject : For example, you can use the name or surname of your contacts to contact them directly.
- The sender address: You can easily test different sender names and see what works best.
- The content of the email: using criteria such as gender, age or buying behavior, you can offer different products to each contact and thus respond precisely to its needs.
Not to mention that emailing offers you A/B testing features. These allow you to compare multiple versions of your messages to see what works best.
2 — GDPR compliant data protection
The issue of data protection is tricky with WhatsApp Business.
Brands that use messaging allow WhatsApp to access their contacts. They transfer all their data to WhatsApp, which processes them in the United States without the contacts having given their consent. This runs counter to the European Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
To be GDPR compliant, you have two options:
- Manually remove recipients from your address book for whom you cannot prove explicit consent. This implies that they be informed that their data will be processed in the United States.
- Use WhatsApp API — but for this you must necessarily go through a third-party provider like MessengerPeople. This makes the process more complicated and expensive.
This problem does not exist with a European emailing solution such as Sendinblue, fully compliant with the GDPR.
Good to know : find out why Sendinblue is GDPR compliant and how we protect your data.
3 — Less invasive advertising
WhatsApp marketing can be effective because it quickly touches contacts on a device they use throughout the day — the smartphone.
That said, people use WhatsApp mainly for their private communication. Advertising on the same channel can be very invasive. This is a bit of the modern equivalent of telephone prospecting, a form of advertising that almost everyone hates.
Conversely, consumers are used to receiving commercial emails. In some messengers like Gmail, they come in separate tabs (“Promotion”) allowing users to choose themselves when they want to interact with their favorite brands.
We therefore recommend using email for commercial prospecting and especially using WhatsApp for customer support or notifications that your contacts already expect.
4 — More reports to analyze
If WhatsApp offers you a number of reports, a solution like Sendinblue allows you to analyze much more KPIs. Not only click or open rate, but also a geolocated visualization or map to determine which links your contacts clicked on.
And who says more reports, says more possibility of optimization for your future campaigns!
5 — More complex automation scenarios
On WhatsApp Business, automation possibilities remain limited, especially if you are not using the API version. Email, on the other hand, allows you to set up highly complex automated campaigns.
Go further : discover our many marketing automation features.
With Sendinblue, you can, for example, create:
- Welcome and Lead Nurturing campaigns, to accompany your prospects as soon as they register and throughout the journey that will lead them to purchase.
- Shopping cart stimulus campaigns, to reactivate prospects with testified of an intent to purchase without having finalized it.
- Loyalty campaigns, to automatically reward your most active customers and revive those who haven’t interacted with your brand for some time.
Conclusion : WhatsApp Business is a great way to quickly interact with your customers, in a space where they are already used to communicating with loved ones. But you need to be aware that the solution is best suited for customer support, feedback collection, surveys, transactional, etc.For personalized and automated mass marketing campaigns, it’s better to go through an emailing solution, with much more advanced features. The ideal is to combine WhatsApp Business with a solution like Sendinblue to create a multi-channel marketing strategy and boost your sales!